March 6, 2016

Monarch Butterflies


We have had many caterpillars in our classroom. We have watched them eating and eating and growing bigger and bigger. We now have thirteen chrysalises! Some of the caterpillars crawled a long way looking for food so some of the chrysalises are in strange places. We will now watch the changes that take place in the chrysalises and wait for the butterflies to emerge. Last week we were lucky to see one caterpillar change into a chrysalis. It was amazing!


Yesterday we watched it turning into a chrysalis. It wriggled and jiggled. Its skin dropped.
                 Tea

One day I saw a caterpillar turning into a chrysalis. It wriggled and jiggled. I was surprised when the caterpillar turned into a chrysalis. Today I saw some more chrysalises.
               Amelia

T 

 







When the caterpillar was nibbling it turned into a chrysalis and then it turned into a butterfly. It flew away. Yesterday we watched another caterpillar turn into a chrysalis.
                                          Tiana

When I came in the classroom I saw a butterfly flying around outside. It was very pretty.
Caterpillars are very special. The butterflies are special too. The caterpillars have been moving around. They have been making chrysalises in silly places.
                              Fern

The caterpillar grows and grows and grows then the caterpillar turns into a chrysalis.
Ryan


When I came into the class I saw the caterpillar chewing and growing and it got bigger and bigger and bigger!  It turned into a chrysalis for two weeks. When it hatched it was a butterfly.
The caterpillars are going to funny places. Three caterpillars are hanging on the wall.
                                                       Tane

I saw a caterpillar turn into a chrysalis. It was wriggling and jiggling and the skin fell off.
                                                       Ayanda



6 comments:

  1. Learning about Butterflies must have been such an interesting Week for everyone. Mr Bignell and I have really enjoyed reading all the stories posted on your class blog today. I loved reading and singing the poem that came home in your poem books that week, "Butterfly Ballard" by Guy Belleranti. Perhaps some of you have even visited 'Butterfly Creek' near the Auckland Airport, which is a cool place to visit aye Amelia. Keep hunting for Butterflies Room 2.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Room 2
    I have been looking at your blog and I am so pleased to see that you are sharing some interesting pieces of your learning with the world.Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kia ora Room 2. I think is is cool that you have had Monarch butterfly caterpillars in your class. I have never seen so many chrysalis in all my life. I like the interesting words you have used like wriggling and jiggling. I have never seen the skin drop off before. I wonder where the butterfly go when they hatch? What do they eat? Do you know?

    ReplyDelete
  4. They eat nectar from flowers like other butterflies do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love visiting your classroom and seeing all the caterpillars, chrysalis (the golden dots on it looks like a pretty necklace don't you think?) and even butterflies! What a classroom! Thanks for all the teachers who help clean up all the caterpillars mess! Karin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Room 2
    Caterpillars are amazing creatures I used to collect caterpillars. Then they turned into butterflies.How many caterpillars did you get?

    ReplyDelete