March 13, 2016

Beach Clean Up


During seaweek all the classes at school walked to the beach to do a beach clean. Before we went we talked about what rubbish we might find. Do you know how long it takes for different sorts of rubbish to break down?

We learned that -
A paper towel takes 2-4 weeks
Newspaper takes 6 weeks
Plastic bags take 10-20 years
Plastic bottles take 100 years
Disposable nappies take 50-100 years
Tin cans take 50 years
Aluminium cans take 200 years.


It was a lovely day so after we had picked up all the rubbish we could find we took the opportunity to have a play at the beach and make some sand sculptures.


On Friday we went to the beach. We didn't get that much litter. Room 6 did. That was bad. When we were finished one of the gloves blew away, but I got it. If no-one had got it, it would stay there for one hundred years. Luckily it didn't. That was good.
We got to make  sand sculptures. Thea and I made an octopus. The tentacles were made out of seaweed. I pulled some slimy stuff out so we could make the mouth. It looked funny.
                                         Tea


On Friday we walked to the beach to look for rubbish but we didn't find much. That was good. Room 6 found more than us. When we were finished we made sand sculptures. I made a mountain with sand.
                      Amelia


There was not much rubbish but I saw a plastic bag. I picked it up. After we had picked up the rubbish we made some sand sculptures. I made a girl out of sand.
                         Ayanda

The  beach was awesome because we collected rubbish. We put the rubbish in the rubbish bin.
After picking up rubbish we made sand castles. I looked at other people's sand castles. I wrote my name in the sand with my finger. Tea and Thea made an octopus.
                                              Tane




 We went to the beach to clean the beach. I found a plastic bag so I picked it up. It was fun. We didn't pick much rubbish up. We made some sand sculptures.
                                      Aaron

We went to the beach. Me and Brisa and Zayed were picking up rubbish, Rubbish is not good for the sea animals. We made some sand sculptures. I saw someone's sand castle with seaweed on it.
                      Fern



 

 

 

 


I went to the beach to find rubbish. I found a lid. We didn't find much rubbish but Room 6 had lots of rubbish. When we had finished we made some sand sculptures. We made a hole and then we went back to school.
                                               Ryan

We didn't find that much rubbish which was good. But I found a plastic lid. I didn't want to touch the germs so I put my glove on. After, me and Tea made an octopus. We put hair on the octopus which made it look better. It made me laugh. It was very funny. Then we put the eyes on the octopus. After that I put a mouth on.
                    Thea



4 comments:

  1. I love going to the beach but I do not like rubbish. We always collect rubbish if we see it, hey Brisa? Its a very nice and important thing for everyone to learn. Well done Room 2, thanks for cleaning our beach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love going to the beach but I do not like rubbish. We always collect rubbish if we see it, hey Brisa? Its a very nice and important thing for everyone to learn. Well done Room 2, thanks for cleaning our beach.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Room 2 for cleaning up our beach. I am glad that there was not too much rubbish. I think it is very good also that you know about how long it takes for rubbish to break down especially as we can reuse and recycle most rubbish. Your sand sculptures were very creative. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed helping you keep our beach clean during Sea Week. However I enjoyed looking at the photos of your sculptures and reading your stories more, well done everyone.

    ReplyDelete